Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Old Buns From New Oven

After a week of dabbling with the new oven, and the new heat settings, I think I've more or less gotten used to it. At first, even at 150C, all the cakes were virtually exploding. Still not 100% perfected, coz the last batch of banana cakes had a slight sink in the centre, which is really annoying if you're coating it with icing, coz it means there's be a patch of cake with REALLY thick icing, if you want the top to look even.

After a long time of not making this, I thought I'd use up my cheap lemons from Tesco, and make a lemon tart for family dinner. Commercially, I'm sure this would not do well, coz it's a bit on the sour side, even for me. But my mother likes it sour, as in, 4 lemons in a tart kinda sour. I think this level of sourness and acidity also causes the surface to subsequently crack.

However, with this oven, the tart seemed to bake beautifully. The texture, I felt, was also really good.



Anyway, for those of you who want to try, the recipe is from Donna Hay's Classic II, (I can't remember if I've posted this recipe before, but what the heck, it's probably buried in the archives somewhere)....

[was about to type the recipe, but then decided to check the archives]....you can find it here.

Warning: Not suitable for the Sour Averse.

13 comments:

MeiyeN said...

so good looking! errr what's da rice/beans thingy (methods of making)?

Rarebeet said...

I love it mouthpuckeringly sour! Mmmm... Texture looks amazing.

Unknown said...

i just bought those lemons too..5 for tm 3.29 i guess? the tart looks good, sour-licious indeed

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

in order to make sure ur cakes are commercially sellable..quickly hold a taste testing session at your place..hahahaha...sour eh..i can take it sour..just remember to put in some of ur alcoholic raisins..

wmw said...

Yeah, where are those intoxicating raisins??? ;P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I'm salivating. Help me, FBB...!

boo_licious said...

yum, I love sour also. That lemon tart looks so jiggly and I can imagine how light that pastry is.

msiagirl said...

Not as many sour averse people out there as you thot! Yum, one of my faves (feeling guilty as nigel tagged me and I can't decide which is my fave...)

Anonymous said...

Haha, that looks like a big egg tart. mmmm!

teckiee said...

Miss your rum and raisins tart...yum yum.

Anonymous said...

hey there! haha read your blog and i simply love it man!!! anyway i tried the recipe and i opt out the zest and didnt use the blind baking method. i added some fresh strawberries on it and everything came out pretty fine except that IT IS REALLY VERY SOUR!!!! =X

haha but nevertheless its a good recipe! thanks for sharing orh!!! update more leh!!! =D

Big Boys Oven said...

Ain't it look so juicy. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

hey me again! haha you might wanna check out my version of the lemon tarts...=)

http://thecookiemedley.blogspot.com/2007/08/bakes-with-nieces-tangy-lemon-tarts.html

do drop me a comment orh! =)